Many families across the country take advantage of swim club pool memberships. According to USA Swimming, the national governing body for the sport of swimming in the United States, there are more than 3,100 professionally recognized swim clubs in the country at this juncture in time. Because of the nature of swim club pools, including a commitment to the proper training of lifeguards and other staff, families tend to be more confident in the safety of these facilities. With that said, swim club pool drowning accident tragedies occur. Therefore, it is important that people have a general understanding of some basic facts and stats associated with summertime swim club pool drowning accidents.
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s Pool Safely: Simple Steps to Save Lives
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has created what it calls Pool Safely: Simple Steps to Save Lives. According to the agency, Pool Safely: Simple Steps to Save Lives is a national education campaign designed to reduce child drowning deaths, child submersion injuries, and child entrapments. The program is further described as a call to action for the public and the industry (including swim clubs) to enhance swimming pool and spa safety.
Pool Safely: Simple Steps to Save Lives sets forth these six practices that are designed to notably enhance the safety of swimmers – particularly children – at swim clubs as well as at other types of swimming pools.
These steps or practices are:
- Designate a water watcher every single time children in your care are in or near the water.
- Make sure your kids know how to swim
- Teach your kids to stay away from drains.
- Ensure any pools and spas you visit or own have compliant drain covers.
- Install proper barriers, covers, and alarms on any pool or spa you own.
- As a parent or guardian, learn CPR.
Swim Club Pool Safety Pledge
Members of swim clubs are encouraged to adhere to a pledge designed to commit parents and other adults to enhancing the overall safety of children at these locations.
The five-part pledge is:
- Designate a water watcher every single time children in my care are in or near the water.
- Make sure my kids know how to swim.
- As a parent or guardian, learn CPR.
- Always remove portable pool ladders when not in use.
- Ensure all permanent pools have a proper fence and gate and safer drain covers.
And a Bit of Swimming Trivia
We don’t want to make the entirety of this article a recitation of sober facts and even grim realities. Therefore, we share with you the listing of the top 10 U.S. swim cities as compiled by NBC Sports.
Cities made the list based on a number of factors that include:
- Number of active simmers
- Number of accessible pools (including swim clubs)
- Number of top-level swimmers
The top 10 U.S. swim cities are:
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, California
- Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina
- Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Connecticut
- San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, California
- Fort Collins-Loveland, Colorado
- Madison, Wisconsin
- Austin-Round Rock, Texas
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, California
- Indianapolis-Carmel, Indiana
What to do After a Swim Club Drowning Accident
If you or a loved one have been injured in a swim club drowning accident, or have sustained some other type of injury at a swim club, the legal team at The Doan Law Firm is here for you. Our drowning accident hotline at (800) 349-0000 is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including all major holidays.
The Doan Law Firm is a nationwide law practice with offices located throughout the United States. We can schedule a no-cost and no-obligation initial consultation with an experienced lawyer at any one of our 40 offices. We can also arrange a virtual consultation with an attorney online as well.
The Doan Law Firm Attorney Fee Guarantee
The Doan Law Firm has an attorney fee guarantee for you. Our firm will never charge an attorney fee unless we win your case for you. Our team is dedicated to fighting tirelessly for the justice, accountability, and compensation you deserve.